Water Jet Cutting of Gear Tooth Facings
Cleveland Oak incorporates a computer controlled water jet saw for many purposes in friction material fabrication as well as cutting many other materials where heat generated during the cutting process can damage the material. We have successfully cut foams, plastics, tempered glass, and ceramics as well as our normal cutting of friction materials.
The water jet, coupled with CAD software, makes it very economical for us to run low volume and prototype products where in the not-too-distant past tooling costs made short production runs cost prohibitive.
One good example of this is the manufacture of gear tooth clutch facings. These look very similar to bicycle sprockets and as such are usually molded or cut on gear hobbing machines making it a very expensive and time consuming process. Utilizing the water jet we can, in most cases, cut a gear facing within a few minutes of receiving or completing a drawing. With this ability we can offer same day service in breakdown situations.
Cleveland Oak can cut gears to 30” diameter with accuracy of +/-.005”. We do production runs of close to 10,000 parts per year as well as run the aforementioned one-offs. There does come a point where, at least using friction material, molding the part can be more economical and we can provide molded parts as well.
Contact us to find out if we can help with your specialized needs, or make it easy on us and give us a more routine project.
Request for Quote
Water Jet Cutting Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Gear Tooth Facings
- Product Description
- These gear tooth facings are used within an industrial clutch and brake applications.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Water Jet Cutting
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Water Jet Saw
- Overall Part Dimensions
- O.D.: up to ø 30"
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.005"
- Material Used
- Friction Material Primarily, but metal, plastic, phenolic and ceramic can all be successfully water jet cut.
- Material Finish
- As required, determined by speed of water jet cut.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Parts are monitored by across the pins measurements or go/no-go gages during process.
- Benefits of Water Jet Cutting
- Water Jet Cutting Chosen Over Conventional Machining Over Conventional Gear Cutting and Laser Cutting
- Saves a Significant Amount of Time Over Conventional Gear Cutting
- Cuts Friction Material w/o Burning Like a Laser
- Industry for Use
- From one-off to over 10,000 parts per year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- In a breakdown situation as short as one day. Standard delivery is 2-3 weeks.
- Delivery Location
- FOB Canton OH, USA
- Standards Met
- Meet or exceed all industry standards and any specific customer requirements.
View Other Past Projects >>
Back to top